Monday, 10 August 2009

Crafty Cardmakers Challenge

Hi Everyone


I am very excited as I am now a member of the Design Team for Crafty Cardmakers. Here is my first card for the Blossoms challenge. Check out the blog and the other lovely cards that the design team have made.

The stamp is Papermania Vintage Flower. I stamped the image using ColorBox Midnight blue from one of their option pads, onto a cream coloured cardstock, that is similar to watercolour paper. Then used a brush and water to pull the colour from the edges of the images. I love using this technique as it is so quick and it very easy to do. Then once, the design has dried, I used a Sukura clear stardust pen to add a little glitter to the centre. I then used a Sukura clear glaze pen over the top to add a little more shine. I coloured the same cardstock using the same blue ink . Which I used as backing paper. Then mounted it again on plain cream cardstock. I have used the ink to edge the card mounts as well. For the main card, I wrapped a length of ribbon and added a pleated a ribbon bow, with a large brad in the centre. I mounted the flower on top and then added three brads on top of the ribbon.
If you would like to recreate the card I have done. I have included the instructions below.


The technique used to create the flowers is a really simple technique that is very effective.
To recreate this you will need:



Stamp: I have used Papermania Vintage Flower,
but you can used the method with most images



Ink: You would need to use a pigment ink (any ink that you can move the colour with water) or Water based makers. For this card I have used: ColorBox Pigment Midnight blue from a option pad.



Card stock: I have used a cream coloured card stock that is similar to watercolour paper. But you could use watercolour paper.
Pens: Sukura Clear Stardust pen and a Sukura Clear Glaze Pen.
Other bits and Bobs: Brads, Ribbon, Glue, Double sided tape, water and brushes (The brushes that I use are Royal Langnickle round. You can get a set of 7 which give you a good selection of sizes).





Method - Watercolour Flower:

  1. Stamp the Flower with the Midnight Blue ink.
  2. Take your brush and dip in water. I tend to squish some of the water off between my fingers, as you do not want the brush to be too wet as it will distort the image.
  3. Now with you brush, starting from the outside edges first, pull some of the ink into the white areas to create a washed out effect. You can create highlights by leaving the the colour of the card stock and Shadow. If you need to add any more colour, just pick some of the ink with you brush and paint directly to the paper.
  4. I then used the stardust pen to add some glitter to the centre and then used clear glaze over the top of the stardust to add more shine.
  5. Below are some other versions of the flower using the same method.

    The one on the left has been done, using the same ink but stamped after I had stamped the image first on to scrap paper before stamping it on my card stock. Thus taking some of the ink off first.

    The one on the right was stamped with Royal Blue ink from the same option pad as the Midnight blue. But was stamped on a different colour card stock. I think this one looks like am image from an old blue and white plate. It has a aged look.
  6. You can used this technique with different colours and designs. Here I have used Art Impressions - Little Miss Muffet stamp.





I matted the image on to card stock that I coloured using the same ink. Here is a really good tutorial on the effect: http://justmagnolia.blogspot.com/search/label/Tutorial
I used a piece of kitchen towel as I did not have Cut'nDry foam.








The finish card has a warp of ribbon and I have added a folded or pleated bow. See below on how I made this. I have added some brads to finish the design.


Pleated/Folded Bow ~ Method 1






This is a very effect way of using ribbon as an embellishment. All you need is a length of ribbon, Double sided tape and glue. If your ribbon is silk or similar you may want a iron to crease it, but I tend to thumb press the creases.

  1. First thing you need to decided is how long you want the bow to be. Once you know what you want, place a length on double-sided along the back of the ribbon (if you are using silk or a ribbon where the double-sided shows, omit this).
  2. Fold over the ends on one side first in case you have to trim the remaining length, later. This will make the edges of you bow neat and tidy. Pull off some of the backing of the double-sided tape to stick folded end in place. If not using tape then glue in place.





  3. For the next stage, I find it easier to place the ribbon down on a hard surface, with the back facing away from you. This gives you some firm to fold against. This will become the finished end in this tutorial.

    Remove the backing to the double sided tape, being careful not to stick it to your work surface (speaking from experience)!



  4. Now all you do is pleat the ribbon by folding it over backwards and forwards on itself. Depending on how many pleads you want on each side. For this demo, I am going to two on each side.


  5. Once you have you pleats done on one side, we are ready to start the right hand side. Now this time, we are going to reverse the pleating. Instead of folding over the top of the ribbon you are going to fold behind the ribbon and then forwards again. Repeat until you have you number of pleats you want.



  6. Trim the remaining length of ribbon and fold over the end to neaten the edge. If you want you can add a single loop of ribbon on top of the pleated to bow to add an extra pleat. If you are using double-sided tape it will stick are you are going, but if you not you will need to glue the pleats to hold them in place.


  7. You can leave the bow as it is or add brads and jewels to it.

Since writing this method, I have come across an alternative way of creating the bow.


Pleated/Folded Bow ~ Method 2


It is a very similar method to the one above.

  1. Take your length of ribbon and fold in half. Crease using your thumb. Unfold and hold at the fold. Hold the ribbon at the fold between your fingers of left hand.



  2. Starting with the right side of the length of ribbon you are going to pleat. Using the fold as the halfway point of your centre loop, fold the ribbon behind and forwards until you have the number of pleats you want. Remembering to stick the pleats in place as you go if you are not using double-sided tape.



  3. Then swap the hand holding the centre loop to the right and repeat the step two for the left hand side.



  4. Once you have all you pleats done, fold over the ends to finish them.










3 comments:

  1. Wow a stunning card and a fabbie tutorial to go with it. I shall definitely be using that method, thanks for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toria,

    I have left an award for you on this post.

    Circle of Friends Award

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi ya hun, pop over to my blog i have a little something for ya, brilliant blog by the way, i love the way you are showing the stamping xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I really love reading them and appreciate each and everyone.
Lv Toria

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails